Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Future Facebook Addict?


I love Yahoo, without it I would know absolutely nothing that is going on in the world as our television is always tuned to kids shows or ghost shows (the latter after the small child goes to bed of course). We try to catch the news as often as possible, but typically only hear parts of it as the kid likes to add his own rather loud commentary to life. I depend on the Yahoo homepage, it is my link to the outside world, a ticket out of two-year old land.

Today I learned from the site that "The Oregon Trail" and "Where is the world is Carmen San Diego?" are both coming back as games on Facebook.  Like most elementary school kids in the 80s, I played these games on an Apple IIe in my school computer lab. Also like everyone else, I frequently died of some horrible disease.

Now I'm not very adept at Facebook, I manage to check it about once a month or so, but I tend to avoid it because it is to me the equivalent of a black hole. You go on the site to find out if your friend has posted any new baby pictures and then three hours later you look up bleary eyed from the computer after following an obsessive need to see if your college roommate's elementary school best friend passed her bar exam or not.

With the advent of these games though, I wonder if I will find myself spending a little more time on Facebook. Not that I have a lot of time to be playing online games, but the sweet emotion of nostalgia is sometimes to difficult to resist and the opportunity to step back in time and channel the child I was might prove too tempting to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment