Friday, January 28, 2011

Barbie & Ken, together again?


While browsing Yahoo's top news today, I came across an article about the possibility of Barbie & Ken getting back together. I know, many of you are still shocked by the sudden break-up of the 40+ year relationship in 2004. I know I myself wondered if this development was really a commentary on the state of American marriage. But fear not, according to Ken's reps, the plastic Lothario is determined to win back his former flame by Valentine's Day 2011. Here's hoping all goes well and everything is once again right in the dream house.

Yes, this news actually got covered by CNN Money. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the need for fun distractions, but we have to all agree that this many column inches on the romance of two plastic dolls is a little, well, sad. (Though an excellent example of PR professionals hard at work.)

I think what struck me most, and made me click on the link, is that I have a copy of the article from 2004 announcing the demise of the Barbie+Ken union. I was young, single and working in Hollywood at the time and it just struck my funny bone. Way back then, I had a habit of printing out interesting articles and pasting them into my journal to comment on. I have no idea what my thoughts were at the time, though I'm sure I pontificated on how ridiculous the whole thing was, but I can distinctly remember the image accompanying the article, a broken heart with Barbie on one side and Ken on the other.

What I find most interesting about this sudden ad campaign is not that it is getting national coverage, but that it reminds me of the gal I was in 2004, and how different my life looks now. In 2004 I hadn't yet met my husband, I couldn't fathom having a child and I was working on a movie. Yes, nearly six years have passed, but it really does seem like yesterday. I remember printing the article and laughing as it made it's way into what was my near constant companion, the journal I felt compelled to document every seemingly memorable event in my life.

I feel rather nostalgic thinking about her now. She had the freedom that youth takes for granted, the ability to sit and document life almost before it even happens. These days, with a house, a two-year old, a husband and two extremely needy cats, even when I do have the time to journal I rarely remember to do it. When I do make it to my journal it is generally to write down a new word my son has learned, and almost never about what I'm thinking or feeling. On the days when I can't seem to string a coherent sentence together, it is nice to remember that somewhere deep inside, there is a person who has opinions and a sense of whimsy.

So I guess I have to actually thank Barbie & Ken for their on-again, off-again relationship. If it weren't for them, I might not have taken a moment to remember the me I was and appreciate the me I am. (And maybe I'll just sit down and write in my journal tonight!)


No comments:

Post a Comment